Friday 3 September 2010

EAST LONDON LINE & THE WHITECHAPEL


Here is a limited edition typographical print which I've been producing to launch my new poetic photobook The East London Line at the Whitechapel Art Book Fair (Thursday 23rd to Sunday 26th September). The large-format softback book, under my imprint Altazimuth Press, will be in a limited edition of 100.

I've been producing the print on my wooden 'common press', a replica of an 18th century press, and as the press is a two-pull press, and therefore has a small platen, I have to pull and wind-on two or three times to obtain one print.

The print is composed in metal type and wood letter on the stone bed of the press. I will have some for sale at the Whitechapel, along with the book, and also a few of my limited edition typographical map, printed in black, red and blue, also entitled the East London Line (see an earlier post).

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Wonderful work! I love your use of an old printing press to make fantastic works of art. I think there are elements of the past that SOMEONE needs to preserve, so that we can see what the past was like. Without those people, our views of the past may not ever be correct. Thanks for being one of them.

ray said...

I called into the press the other day on a day trip to Lewes. Lovely project but when I got home and googled you I came across Thames, London River. I wanted to tell you that as an ex bargeman and Everards coaster hand and (much) more recently a lockkeeper at Teddington I can think of few pieces that capture the river better. Thank you.
On a more mundane l level, does the press take on printing jobs? I know someone who is interested.

John said...

Nice work done by you. I like your work done on old printing press to make it fantastic. I am really interested to buy these paintings.

Print London

asher00 said...

Looking for a great printer that can handle all of your home printing needs? Check out the Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer! This printer is perfect for printing high-quality photos, and it can also be used to print stickers and labels. It’s easy to set up and use, and it comes with a variety of features that make it stand out from the competition. Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer for printing stickers